Hey there! I often get asked random questions about fitness and nutrition (mainly nutrition) and while the questions are always great, I wanted to be able to share the questions and answers with everyone. So, if you have a fitness or nutrition question please feel free to send me a message!
Whats so special about sprouted grains? Are they any different from regular grains?
Yes, there is a difference between the two types of grains. The biggest differences are in their nutritional profile and how your body digests the grains. While there is nothing wrong with eating non-sprouted grains, the sprouted ones generally tend to have more fiber, calcium, vitamin C, and a lower carbohydrate content. Sprouted grains are also easier for your body to break down and digest. So, if you know your body has a tough time digesting legumes or seeds (ie. bloating), you may benefit from switching to a sprouted grain and legume diet.
Does eating cinnamon reduce my chances of developing diabetes?
I had to do my research on this, but studies are showing that cinnamon may actually be a worthwhile alternative to prescription drugs. Testing demonstrates that having roughly 1/2 tsp of cinnamon per day can reduce your blood sugar similar to the decrease experienced from prescription drugs. You can add cinnamon to your oatmeal, yogurt, tea, or apple slices to help boost your daily intake.
Note – always follow treatment prescribed by your doctor and get their opinion before trying any new form of treatment.
Is Kefir like yogurt? Does it have the same health benefits?
It’s a fermented milk product that is very similar to yogurt. Kefir is made through a fermentation process that produces a dairy product that is full of protein, calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin A, similar to milk and yogurt. Where kefir differs is the presence of a probiotic bacteria. Don’t be scared of this bacteria! It’s essential to life and helps you better digest food and helps support a healthy immune system. In addition to this, kefir also has antimicrobial and antifungal properties, promotes wound healing, improves gut health, and can help lower blood cholesterol and blood pressure levels. You can use kefir in any recipe that calls for yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream or you could enjoy some with fresh fruit.
How many calories should I eat each day?
This varies from person to person and based on your daily activity level. I have written an informative post (CLICK HERE) if you’re interested in learning how many calories you need each day and why they’re important.
Do I have to have breakfast to be healthy?
You don’t HAVE to do one certain thing to be healthy, but eating breakfast may be something that helps you feel and perform better each day. Research shows that those who eat breakfast have a better chance of not only losing weight but keeping off the weight they’ve lost. However, there’s no one thing that will work for everyone. So, if you can meet your daily nutrient needs, without over-eating, then maybe you don’t need breakfast (although few people actually fit in this category). If you lack energy or are trying to meet your nutrient intake, then breakfast is not only a good idea but important.
What do you think of the paleo/keto/dairy-free diet?
Different things work for different people. While I personally don’t teach or recommend a diet that excludes or restricts certain foods, I can understand that eliminating some types of foods may elicit the desired changes. If keto, paleo, or dairy-free works for you, your lifestyle and helps you achieve your goals, excellent! If it’s not, pivot and modify your eating habits. If you choose to follow one of these diets, I would caution you against “restrictive behaviours” or feeling guilty after eating something that isn’t 100% in-line with your diet’s guidelines.
Regardless of what diet you choose to follow, everyone can benefit from eating whole, unprocessed foods that are in line with your goals 80% of the time. The other 20% I want you to enjoy life and what you’re eating, guilt-free.
80% of your diet – Unprocessed, whole foods (ex. lean protein, vegetables, fruits, sprouted grains, healthy fats, etc.)
20% of your diet – Things you enjoy (ex. wine, chocolate, cake, brownies, etc.)