This crowd pleasing recipe is sure to be a hit at your dinner table. Make it vegetarian by swapping the chicken for chickpeas, or turn it into a salad to boost your vegetable intake. The cozy combination of spices is sure to satisfy your cravings and have even the pickiest of eaters going back for seconds.
The following recipe is for the wrap-style shawarma. See recipe notes for directions on salad and vegetarian options.
- 8 Mini Soft Tortilla Wraps (4 inches)
- 8 oz Boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 1 large chicken breast or 2 medium chicken breasts)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp each cumin and garlic powder
- ½ tsp each salt, black pepper, and paprika
- ¼ tsp each ground coriander and ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup hummus
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp garlic
- Water, as needed (to thin out sauce)
- Red onion, finely diced
- Avocado, diced
- Lettuce, shredded
- Roma tomato, diced
Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a medium bowl, combine the cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, coriander, and cinnamon. Mix well. Add chicken to spices and toss to evenly coat. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet and bake until chicken is cooked through (about 10-15 minutes).
In a small bowl, combine hummus, lemon juice, dill, and ½ tsp of garlic. Add water as needed until your desired consistency is reached.
Prepare your toppings, as needed.
To assemble, add chicken and desired toppings to a wrap. Finish by drizzling with the hummus dressing. Serves 2 -3.
- Make it vegetarian! Substitute the chicken breast for 1 can of chickpeas.
- To make this a salad, combine all finished ingredients in a bowl, without the tortillas. Thin out the hummus topping with more water for your salad dressing.
Leave a comment and let me know what type of recipes you want to see next.